What is a supported internship?
Supported Internships are a structured work based study programme for young people aged 16-24 with additional needs who want to get in to work. Being given the opportunity of an Internship can be a life changing for our interns. Many of the employers we work in partnership with have also reported that being involved in the programme has been great for their business and employees.
We are always looking for supportive local businesses to provide real job opportunities. This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved, for more information please see our dedicated Supported Internship programme or the course information page for Supported Internships.
Benefits of taking on a Supported Intern:
- A loyal, capable and reliable intern who will make a productive contribution to your organisation at no cost - during the programme the interns are not paid by the employer.
- Cost free recruitment if you choose to employ the intern once they have learned the required skills and proved themselves in the work setting.
- Your business can be more productive as your employees can focus on their main areas of priority and delegate other tasks to the intern.
- Your logo could be placed on the Supported Internship Programme College website and linked directly to your website.
- You could become a Disability Confident Employer.
How we support our Employers:
- Additional staff resource for support: We can provide one-to-one support to help the intern learn the role. Appropriate levels of support will be discussed with individual employers.
- Health & Safety: Under Health & Safety legislation, employees with a disability or learning difficulty are treated the same as any other employee of the same age
- Additional insurance: Employers' liability insurance covers all employees, including young people on the Supported Internship Programme.
How to get involved with the supported internship programme:
For more information or to get involved Contact our Supported Internships Team and we can help you find a suitable Supported intern to help meet you business need.