Employer Costs & Funding

As of the 6th April 2019, the way the government funds apprenticeships in England changed.

Small & Medium Employers

Employers with a salary bill of under £3 million a year are now required to make a 5% contribution to the cost of apprenticeship training and the government will pay the remaining 95%. You will pay the 5% directly to a provider such as Shipley College in monthly payments over the length of an apprenticeship with an agreed payment schedule. As you and the government make a payment, it is called ‘co-investment’.

Employers with fewer than 50 employees can receive additional financial support- please Contact our Business Development Team who can help you with this process.  

Large Employers

Employers operating in the UK, with a salary bill over £3 million a year, are now required to contribute to a new Apprenticeship Levy. Employers can then access funds to train existing staff as well as new apprentices.

For more information see Apprenticeship Levy information for large employers (With a pay bill of more than £3 million)

For more specific information you can also see Gov.uk 

You can find information regarding:

7th April 2021 Government Update

The Government has recently increased the incentive payments available to businesses that employ a new apprentice.

Employers will now receive £3000 for apprentices of any age who join their company between 1st April 2021 & 30th September 2021.  This incentive will need to be claimed via your companies Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS) account and will be paid in 2 equal installments, the first being approx 90 days after the apprentice starts and the second at 365 days. This is in addition to the existing £1,000 grant the Government already provides for new apprentices aged 16-18, and those aged 25 and under with an Education, Health & Care Plan where that applies.

 This means, employers could receive up to £4,000 for hiring 16-18 year old apprentices during this 6 month incentive scheme.

Digital Apprenticeship Service

Due to recent changes regarding the way in which Apprenticeships are administered, any Business that is now looking to recruit an apprentice or trainee must register and do so via the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS).

This allows employers to access Apprenticeship funding and find and manage their training providers.

If you have not used this service before then please find further information on registering & using the apprenticeship service & and creating an account to manage apprenticeships. There is also a short video that you may find useful when registering to use the DAS. 

As an employer, once you are registered, you will be able to reserve apprenticeship funding and manage and allocate training providers. This needs to be done as soon as possible, ideally before the apprentice starts work with you,

Employers will need to use this service in order for any incentive payments to be paid so it is important you register promptly in order to be eligible.


Contact our Business Development Team

We can discuss with you the costs associated with offering apprenticeships and the apprenticeship levy, or any other questions you may have regarding apprenticeships or training and development options.

Our professional, friendly staff will be happy to provide you with further information or visit you at your place of work.

Contact the Business Development Team.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

We are here to help you Contact us for assistance

Search You can search for a course or any other information using this search box.