Your Saved Courses
As you move through the site, you can save courses you are interested in to this list, and then fill in a single form to enquire on all of them.
The Saltaire Archive
The Saltaire Archive - Learning Resource Centre at Shipley College
The Saltaire Archive will be on display from Monday 30th July-Friday 10th August 2012 - 10am-3pm in the Fluke Room, Victoria Hall, Saltaire. £1 admission.
A unique collection which includes books, newspapers, Salt family memorabilia, maps, plans, illustrations etc. on the history and present development of Saltaire. The Saltaire Studies collection has developed and grown over the years and we endeavour to make it as publicly accessible as possible. However, much of our collection is behind the scenes and carefully stored in the Saltaire Studies Centre in the Exhibition Building and is for reference only.
We welcome individual students researching Saltaire and can also offer PowerPoint presentations/guided tours for group parties. Booking essential in all cases. We also open up the collection to the public during July and August.
Unlike public libraries we receive no funding for this service so discretional charges may be made to help cover the cost of the upkeep of the collection.
Overview of the Collection
Salt Family Collection
The Salt Family have kindly donated/loaned a selection of family artefacts and these include:
· Family portraits and photographs
· Original drawings by Sir Titus Salt as a boy
· Family birth, marriage and death certificates
· Copies of Will of Daniel Salt and Sir Titus Salt
· Salt family seal and bookplate
· Original pieces of dinner service used for opening of the Mill in 1853 and for Royal visit in 1882.
· Milner Field dinner menus, dance cards and dinner place names.
· Original correspondence letters regarding Royal Visits to Saltaire.
· Photographs of Royal Visits
· Miscellaneous documents relating to Milner Field
· Documents relating to reconstruction of Salts between Salt Family and syndicate -1892/3.
Shipley College Collection
Sources for Local and Saltaire History
A collection of books on the study of Saltaire are displayed on the open shelves – some available for loan (Shipley College students only or by special arrangement)
Newscuttings - A comprehensive collection of newscuttings covering aspects of Saltaire and Shipley – current affairs and events from 1980's.
Maps and Plans - A collection of copies of maps covering Saltaire, Shipley and Bradford dating back to 1853.
A collection of architectural plans and drawings of buildings in Saltaire.
Illustrations and Photographs - An extensive collection featuring Saltaire, it's buildings, it's people and community events.
Documents and Papers
Personal history accounts of life in Saltaire
· Publications relating to Sir Titus Salt and the Mill
· Souvenir guides and monthly magazines dating from the 1870's.
· Copies of sample books and catalogues featuring Salts Mill textiles from the 1960's.
· Salts Mill works publications, posters etc.
· Salts High School – posters and documents.
From the mill - bobbins, tools, and samples of cloth and wool.
Mementoes from the Royal Yorkshire Jubilee Exhibition in 1887.
Items from Salts High School
2nd Floor Exhibition Building
Tel. 01274 327225/6